Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Most Beautiful Thing - TMBT 2014 50KM - Race Day


I woke up around 3.30 am and take a quick shower. After that i prepare my recovery drink and put inside my hydration pack. For breakfast i had my usual coffee , bread and a couples of banana just enough to fill my stomach. You sure don't want a full stomach before a race. A final check on my gear and i'm off to the race starting point in Kg. Lingkubang, Kota Belud. Arrived at Kg. Lingkubang around 6.00 am, thanks to Erwan for the ride. A quick photo session is a must, thanks to Nasier for the beautiful group photo.


Race Start!!...


We flag off at 7.30am a bit late from the schedule. My strategy for this year race is to get on front at the beginning of the race because i don't want to get stuck at the trail behind hundreds of runner based on last year experience and it is very time consuming. I dash from the starting line and started running at 5 min pace until the Kebayau hill section and started power walk thru the steep hill.


The 2nd part of the race is the jungle section going uphill until approx. 690m above sea level before going down to Kg. Tambutuon WS1 - KM 11. I was planning to make up lost time on the flat section but i experience side stich which stoping me from running. After the paddy and river view we enter a second jungle section i was feeling a bit tired also very hungy so i make a quick stop. I had some biscuits , banana and 1 energy gel.




It's around 9.00 am in the jungle section and i can really feel the heat from the sun. The humid jungle section makes me very tired due to dehydration, so i took a rest as Donny caught up with me. We rest for a while and after getting back energy we continues our way to Lobong-lobong -WS2. Out from the jungle to the open gravel road, i put on my sun cap and buff to protect from sunburn.


A few kilometers before Lobong-Lobong, Hana caught up with me and donny. So the three of us walk together and after 4 hours into the race we reach WS2 where i meet up with Khamis. Hana and Donny head on 1st as im enjoying the refreshing pineapple. After filling up my bottle we back on track and only a few minutes on the trail its started to rain as we reach the split point for 100K & 50K.

As we make our way from WS2 to WS3 i was getting hungry on each step i took. Its almost uphill all the way and finally we get out from the trail into the open road. All i can think of is food.. food.. food.. but as we arrived at WS3 i was disappointed because there is no food served in WS3. Luckily a lady offered us banana to fuel us for the next 5km to the next WS- Kiau Nulu where the actual food is waiting. The banana does the trick, my energy level goes up pushing me thru the 5 km for the food.


Finally WS4 real food!!... i arrived 1st and just couldn't wait for the others because i'm so hungry. A moment later Khamis arrived followed by Johnny and Lee.




The rain has stop and with another 20KM to go time to move. Another hilly section from the village road into the gravel road pass thru a tall grass over a landslide we exit to the main road. The refreshment meal at WS4 really boost my energy level, i feel unstoppable.


We started running again from the Bundu Tuhan junction all the way downhill. I was so excited because looks like we can finish under 11 hour but then we had to make our way down to WS5A- Kinasaraban not as the same route as last year. With another 4.4KM to go, together with Khamis,Johnny and Lee we push our self to the finish line try to make it under 12hrs and we did. My official finish time 11hr 20mins rank 42 in men category and 52 in overall category.







No comments:

Post a Comment